The United States must always be a staunch defender of democracy, freedom, human rights, and the rule of law. As a former Peace Corps Volunteer, I know firsthand how our values can be a global force for good.
In Congress, I am working to ensure that the United States stand behind its commitments to provide humanitarian assistance and democracy building tools, and continue to fully stand alongside our allies through diplomacy and military support. Our nation’s strength comes not just from our military power, but also from our support for our partners and allies.
This is why I am supporting legislation and efforts to uphold human rights, support those in need, confront corruption abroad, and defend our international partners:
· I stand alongside the people of Venezuela as they face a humanitarian crisis and demand a return to democracy. I introduced H.R. 920, the Venezuela Arms Restriction Act, to prohibit the export of weapons and related services to the Maduro regime This bill passed the House in March and was signed into law as part of a government funding package. I also cosponsored and helped pass H.R. 854, the Humanitarian Assistance to the Venezuelan People Act, and H.R. 549, the Venezuela TPS Act, which grants TPS designation to Venezuelan nationals.
· I continue to support our ally Israel, traveling to the country as part of a congressional delegation and through cosponsoring legislation to help maintain Israel’s qualitative military edge, like H.R. 1837, the United States-Israel Cooperation Enhancement and Regional Security Act. I have also supported legislation opposing the BDS movement and affirming the two-state solution.
· I am an original cosponsor of H.Res. 136, which calls out Cuba’s role in global human trafficking through their foreign medical missions.
· I am championing efforts to provide aid to the people of the Bahamas following the destruction of Hurricane Dorian.
· I cosponsored H.Res. 291, which recognizes that contributions of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) are vital to Untied States national security.
· I cosponsored and helped pass H.R. 2615, the United States-Northern Triangle Enhanced Engagement Act, to authorize foreign assistance to El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.
· I cosponsored H.R. 649, the Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act, to address China’s persecution of the Uyghurs.
The United States cannot retreat from its responsibilities to the global community, and I will continue to ensure we stand by our allies and help lift communities up around the world.