Jobs & Economy
I am proud to serve Florida’s 27th District and fight for policies that will create good-paying jobs and secure the futures of hardworking Americans. As a member of the House Committee on Education and Labor, I am working to strengthen the middle class, provide safety and economic security for working families, and support the many small businesses in my district that contribute to our economic prosperity.
The United States has a strong and robust workforce, but wages are struggling to keep up with the surging cost of living in cities like Miami. Too many people are working long hours and multiple jobs without the support they need. No parent should ever have to choose between paying rent and putting food on the table. One of top priorities in Congress is ensuring that working families have the resources they need to grow and provide for their families.
During my first term in Congress, I have taken numerous steps to strengthen our South Florida economy while protecting the fundamental rights of working families:
· I cosponsored and helped pass H.R. 582, the Raise the Wage Act, which incrementally raises the minimum wage until it reaches $15.00 per hour in 2025.
· I cosponsored H.R. 2474, the Protecting the Right to Organize Act of 2019, which strengthens the right of workers to collectively bargain for better pay and working conditions without retaliation or interference by employers.
· I introduced H.R. 3689, the Protecting JOBs Act, which prohibits states from suspending, revoking, or denying state-issued professional licenses in retaliation for students defaulting on their loans.
· As a member of the Travel and Tourism Caucus, I’ve worked to strengthen South Florida’s tourism sector and encourage continued investment.
· I have supported PortMiami’s and Miami International Airport’s efforts to expand capacity and improve efficiency as we maintain South Florida’s status as a hub for global trade.
Our country was founded on the principle that everyone, no matter their background, has the chance to work hard to build the life they desire. I’m proud to be working to protect this legacy.