Florida’s 27th congressional district is home to over 13,000 veterans. As your representative in Congress, I am committed to providing the best care for our women and men in uniform and supporting our veterans and their families.
Throughout my career I have worked to improve the lives of veterans. As Secretary of Health and Human Services during the Clinton administration, I oversaw veterans’ healthcare, and I know the importance of expanding benefits for returning troops. In 2007, I was handpicked by President George W. Bush to co-chair the Commission on Care for Returning Wounded Warriors, alongside Senator Bob Dole, to evaluate how wounded service members transition from active duty to civilian society. While serving on the Commission, I advocated for lifetime care for veterans with PTSD and other mental health issues.
In the 116th Congress, I have taken several steps to ensure that our veterans and have access to the best care and resources:
· I introduced H.R. 3369, the DAVIE Act, which will take steps to prevent predatory for-profit colleges from taking advantage of veterans and their tuition assistance benefits.
· I am a cosponsor of H.R. 3495, the IMPROVE Well-Being for Veterans Act, which will support veteran suicide prevention efforts.
· I proudly voted in favor of H.R. 840, the Veterans’ Access to Childcare Act, which will provide childcare assistance to veterans receiving regular healthcare services from the VA.
· I cosponsored H.R. 299, the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act, which will restore benefits to Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Orange.
· I cosponsored H.R. 886, the Veteran Treatment Coordination Act, which will establish a Veteran Treatment Court program to provide treatment options for veterans who become entangled in our criminal justice system.
· I cosponsored H.R. 553, the Military Surviving Spouses Equity Act, which will allow surviving spouses to collect full insurance benefits from the Department of Defense. This bill was included in the House-passed FY20 National Defense Authorization Act.
I am encouraged by the progress we have already made in the 116th Congress for veterans’ benefits. I am committed to continue advocating for veterans and supporting legislation that improves the lives of our servicemembers.